Wednesday, August 24, 2011

InterVarsity NY/NJ Staff Conference 2011

"Risk & faith are inseparable."

That's the first point Ted Esler, Vice President of Pioneers-USA., made during this year's InterVarsity NY/NJ Regional Staff Conference.  During our first session we looked at Hebrews 11 and drew connections with how those who had taken huge steps of faith also took huge risks for the sake of obeying God and following His lead.

Some of the old and new NY/NJ Regional staff
As a region, our staff team examined and reflected on where we needed to take risks on ourselves, on others, and on God in order to grow God's kingdom for His glory.  A common theme threaded throughout the week was hearing how our staff has often been ministering on the mentality that God is a God of scarcity.  We worry and fear that we don't have enough this or enough of that, and often end up shying away from risks because we don't have the faith that our God will come through.

But we were reminded through testimonies, our speaker, and worship that we serve a God of great abundance - and if we truly believe that then we have the freedom to take certain risks for the sake of the gospel during this upcoming year.

It was also awesome as a new staff worker to see and hear how God has been moving through the NY/NJ region over the past six years.  Changes were made and risks were taken, and with faithfulness and trust, God's kingdom has been furthered.  It was cool to hear about this as someone who just graduated because I can say I was a part of that movement within the last four years!  I am grateful that God would choose me to play a small part in His grand plan and I'm excited to be used by Him in a different context.

God is moving - each glow stick represents a person who came to Christ in our region over the past 6 years
"Risk-Taking & Growth:  Responding to God's Initiative, Trusting in His Sovereignty" was not only an appropriate theme for our region's movement, but it was appropriate for my personal life and ministry as well. I thought about what it meant to trust in His sovereignty when it came to working on fund development and other areas of my life.  I'll post more about that as I begin to put what I've learned into practice.

It was an honor to also witness and participate in the honoring of our outgoing of our Regional Director, Greg Jao, the induction of our new Regional Director, Jason Gaboury, and the send-off of our outgoing Field Director, Janet Balajthy.  Although change is sometimes be a bit difficult to adjust to, it's pretty exciting to see how God will move through our leaders as these transitions are made and how they'll be challenged and pursue glory for God.

Janet Balajthy giving Jason Gaboury some encouraging words
  
Overall, I love the NY/NJ staff.  I definitely feel honored to be a part of this family and I look forward to the growth I'll experience and the relationships that will flourish as I begin working alongside these courageous brothers and sisters.

More thoughts to come as I process and apply what I've learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment