When I thought about how I'm doing recently in this season of ministry, I thought of a quote from the movie, It's a Wonderful Life:
Clarence: You sent for me, sir?
Senior Angel: Yes, Clarence. A man down on earth needs our help.
Clarence: Splendid. Is he sick?
Senior Angel: No, worse. He's discouraged.
I'm going to be honest, I think I subconsciously try everything I can to beat around the bush of admitting that I'm discouraged. That's probably because my temperament likes to lean towards the image of having it all together and being super positive all the time. It's also probably because I know the truth in my head: I have a God who is stronger and greater than any obstacles or issues I may face. How can I be discouraged if our God is for us? What can ever stop us or stand against, right? That's how the psalms and songs go.
Also, it's bothersome that my attitude tends to bend with the weather. I find that it can sometimes be harder to see the exciting things God is up to through the pelting sheets of rain and depressing gray sky.
But there's this one thing that has been coming back to me again and again ever since I spotted it during one of the sessions at Expedition, our InterVarsity Upstate NY Fall Conference. I was in the Map & Compass Track, where students were equipped with tools and skills to dig deep into God's Word by studying the book of Jonah with the inductive, manuscript study style. I noticed that even though Jonah went out of his way to flee God and go in the opposite direction of where God wanted to send him, God drew people to Himself. God worked through Jonah's disobedience to bring the sailors on the ship Jonah was taking to flee the presence of the Lord came to faith in Him.
That's pretty amazing, especially to a young woman like myself who tries so hard to "do the right thing" and go in the "right" direction. It's a deep, freeing reminder of how God is in the business of drawing people to Himself in His time and His way and that it doesn't rest alone on my own abilities or power.
I'm realizing I need to spend some time reflecting deeply on the vision I have for RIT's campus and its students. I'm not as excited as I once was because the vision I once had is leaking and getting fuzzy. I need to practice some self-leadership and do well to uncover and steward the vision God graciously offers me for the sake of the gospel.
If I don't cultivate the vision for myself and for others, how can I expect my student leaders to do the same?
No comments:
Post a Comment