John 13:1-6 The Message (MSG)
Washing His Disciples’ Feet
13 1-2 Just before the Passover Feast, Jesus knew that the time had come to leave this world to go to the Father. Having loved his dear companions, he continued to love them right to the end. It was suppertime. The Devil by now had Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot, firmly in his grip, all set for the betrayal.
3-6 Jesus knew that the Father had put him in complete charge of everything, that he came from God and was on his way back to God. So he got up from the supper table, set aside his robe, and put on an apron. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the feet of the disciples, drying them with his apron. When he got to Simon Peter, Peter said, “Master, you wash my feet?”
Earlier this week, I attended our Upstate Team Meetings, a semesterly spiritual formation retreat with the northern half of our NY/NJ region. During one of the days there, we studied this passage (John 13) together. (Yes, it's the Message version. You're not reading the link wrong. A rare happenstance in InterVarsity, I know. Don't worry, we still encountered the Lord.)
One of the big things that stood out to me was the fact that Jesus' identity and authority were not dependent on whether or not the disciples understood what he was saying or doing. He knew His relationship to God and the authority He had been given to carry out His mission.
This didn't change when Peter clearly didn't understand what Jesus was doing, nor seemed patient enough to wait to understand later. His identity and authority from God didn't change when Judas betrayed Him. Jesus continued to love and serve them. He pressed forward into the tension and confusion. He didn't compromise his actions. His authority didn't diminish with the disciples' comments or actions.
This made me think about two things:
- While I hunger for a deep sense of joy and compassion for this ministry at RIT, I wonder how much of my lack in those areas is tied to my belief that my authority is determined by how well people understand what I am doing. It's a belief I know in my head isn't true, but I certainly act on it more than on the truth that my identity and spiritual authority come from Jesus.
- What would it look like to 'wash the feet' of RIT students? How can I serve them in such a way that would point them to the love of Jesus?
No comments:
Post a Comment