Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ambition.

Ambition is the name of the InterVarisity conference Nathan is currently attending in Florida.  It's for both staff and students who desire to learn more about planting ministries.  I'm kind of bummed I decided not to go, but I figured it's probably also good that I'm not traveling anymore after the craziness of this last month.

But I'm still very excited for Nathan and all of my other friends and colleagues who are attending.  I'm praying and hoping that God will peel away any distractions and soften any hardened hearts so that they can be ready to receive a Word from Him.  I'm hoping it'll instill a renewed fervor to reach the lost and participate in the work God has invited them into.  I'm praying that the speakers, conversations, seminars, and environment will be helpful and significant for moving God's mission forward.  I'm hoping God will bless them with courage despite fears or hesitations they may have about the planting work God is sending them to.

While I'm here back in Rochester, I've been thinking about my own 'ambitions' in this ministry.    

ambition



noun
1.
an earnest desire for some type of achievement or distinction, as power, honor,  fame, or wealth, and the willingness to strive for its attainment:
Too much ambition caused him to be disliked by his colleagues.
2.
the object, state, or result desired or sought after:
The crown was his ambition.
3.
desire for work or activity; energy:
I awoke feeling tired and utterly lacking in ambition.

What am I striving for?  Yeah, I can quote InterVarsity's vision statement in my sleep, and I know the components of our purpose statement.  I know it all in my head.  But is it truly what I'm seeking after?  What does that look like?

When I think about it, I think it's easy for me to get caught up in the circumstances.  I'll start off with good intentions to participate in the work God has called me to, and then when things don't go the way I expect them to, or I don't know what to do, I start striving towards getting back to solid ground or even just getting the minimum done to survive the day.

Nathan and I have been going through Joshua in our personal studies.  These verses have been weighing on me:

Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you.  I will not leave you or forsake you.  Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them.

It's helpful to be reminded of God's presence and his exhortation of courage out of the confidence that God does not turn back on His promises.  It reminds me that God has definitely called me to this ministry at this time, and He does not turn back on His promise to be with me in answering this call.

I pray for and with my friends and colleagues at Ambition for the very same strength, courage, and presence as we encounter the Lord in these next few days and as they return with all that God has given them to bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment