Thursday, October 6, 2011

Jessica's* story continues

If you haven't been receiving my email updates, you may not have any idea of the story I'm about to continue.

In that case, bear with me a little bit as I'll try to catch you up briefly, but feel free to sign up for my emails on the tabs above so you won't be left out of the loop!

So if you remember Jessica's story, she is the freshman non-Christian that started coming to our InterVarsity Friday night meetings (Large Group) and one of the weekly dorm-based community Bible study groups (Small Group) this year.  We met at one of the Large Group events but had a chance to talk while we were waiting for the church bus together one Sunday.

It was so encouraging to see how curious she was about getting involved in InterVarsity and what it meant to live a Christian life.  She asked me about church service, told me how much she enjoyed the Large Group and Small Group meetings, and asked me for more information about our upcoming Fall InterVarsity conference, just for starters.  It had been a long time since I'd encountered anyone who would ask me so many of those kinds of questions.

Jessica isn't the only one - I've been hearing stories from others and meeting other non-Christian students who have been hanging out with us and coming to our meetings because they have questions and comments that are similar to Jessica's.  It's exciting to see how God has been bringing them to us, and so if you haven't already started, please join me in praying for Jessica and the other non-Christians students as they learn more about Jesus and are challenged to step out in faith.

Here's where Jessica's story continues:

I told my older sister Pam, who's back in NYC about my encounter with Jessica, and she suggested that Jessica come to her church plant fellowship meeting on the Saturday of their Rosh Hashanah break a couple of weeks ago.  I told her I wasn't sure what Jessica would do, but I'd bring the idea up to her.  I quickly emailed Jessica and gave her Pam's contact info, not sure what to expect.

But Jessica emailed me back later to say that she had contacted Pam and that they were going to meet up to go to the fellowship together!  Gratitude filled my heart because Jessica had only just met me and Pam was a complete stranger to her, but she was willing and eager to go seek the Lord in an unfamiliar place.

Jessica returned to campus telling me she had a positive experience, so I'm excited to see how God will continue to work in her life.  Please continue praying for Jessica as she walks on this journey in discovering who Jesus is and what it means to follow Him.  Pray that as the Lord reveals some difficult decisions she may need to make that He would provide the courage she needs to take steps towards Him.

*Not her real name

No comments:

Post a Comment