Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Katy the Prophetess?

I've been telling people my story of how I decided to come on staff with InterVarsity, and with every re-telling I include a snippet of something that happened during the end of my sophomore year at Basileia, our summer leadership conference.

It was the middle of my first term as the new Administrator on our chapter's executive board (E-board) team.  That first semester in my new role was quite a learning experience, including many mistakes and fall-flat-on-my-face moments.  It was very stressful and frustrating, so I was relieved to have finished the academic year.

Because we were on our chapter's E-board, we took the Servant Leaders' Track at Basileia and used a lot of the track time making bold goals and plans for chapter for the upcoming year.  Throughout those first few days, Katy, who was our Outreach Coordinator, kept half-joking that our E-board would all join IV staff when we graduated, live together in the same house in Binghamton, and change the world by reaching out to our Binghamton community and mobilizing college students to live out the gospel in their daily lives.

I'm pretty sure we all thought she was crazy.

Well, at least I thought she was ridiculous.  Just put yourself in my shoes - I had just finished a very tough first semester in an InterVarsity leadership role, coming in with not much understanding of what the Administrator was supposed to do and just starting to really understand what the vision of InterVarsity actually looked like and what it meant.  I was still pretty quiet and though I cared about college students, didn't yet see how I could possibly make a difference as a staff worker.

I felt like I had such a long way to go and so much to learn that even if I could miraculously become staff worker material, it would be far beyond my four years of college when that would actually develop.  Becoming a staff worker was so incredulous to me that it didn't think it belonged on my radar screen.

As I was recalling this story recently, I thought about how much and how quickly my life had changed.  And then it only just occurred to me that Katy actually turned out to be right - or partly right, at least.

Who but God knew that after I graduated I'd be working as an InterVarsity staff worker, living with the very E-board teammate that predicted this would all happen, reaching out to my Binghamton community and mobilizing college students to live out the gospel in their daily lives?

That's ridiculous.  With God, the impossible is made possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment