Monday, February 27, 2012

Boundaries.

Something I've always been aware of in my head about ministry is that the work is never done until Jesus returns.  Even when I see people transformed by Christ's work in their lives or significant advancements towards campus renewal or students adapting lifestyles that promote a change in the world, the work is never complete.

So I recognize that I've been experiencing a sense of "emotional workaholicism" over these past several months - I'll try to pace myself with tasks but I'll be so preoccupied and worried about what I feel like I'm not doing well or completing, even though I'm not in a meeting or performing a task.  I'll place the weight or outcome of a task on my own shoulders as sole responsibility so much that I don't take the time to really enjoy rest or develop my own personal growth.

It's something both my E-board team and I have been learning, so as I've been trying to hold my leaders accountable to resting I am simultaneously holding myself accountable to resting and acknowledging that this is ultimately God's ministry and His work.  Part of that means learning what it means to create some boundaries between ministry work and personal sustainability and development, part of it also means creating a personal intercessory team that would help pray not only for my ministry at Binghamton but for me as a child of God.

Part of it also means that for my sabbath I need to create and work on personal projects that I enjoy working on, can see to completion, and enjoy the fruits of my creativity and labor.  One the great things about this reflection is that I've already begun putting this practice - last week I took on the project of rearranging my room, and it was such a restful and enjoyable experience that has improved my work environment for when I'm not on campus meeting with students.

Praise God for His reminder to me that He is a God of abundance and not scarcity - especially in creativity and rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment