The week leading up to Vision Night last Friday was definitely a test of that progress, to say the least. Even with months of planning ahead of time, we still ended up being short-staffed, miscommunicating, and changing things last minute. And on top of that, I was experiencing other unexpected personal and ministry-related obligations.
There were many times where it would've been easy for me to get frustrated or worry, but I didn't. And there were some moments where I regrettably gave in to the temptation. But as I reflect on the night, God definitely met me where I was and reminded me that He was in control:
- First of all, 122 students showed up from all over the Rochester Area. We were expecting 100 as a max, though were probably realistically thinking it would be less. Praise the Lord!
- Five University of Rochester students came! For a chapter plant that has been struggling to get students to commit and participate in activities, this was a huge success. It was a joy to have them join in on what God was doing throughout the Rochester Area.
- Overall, once the night got started, things went pretty smoothly. There were no major hiccups or large schedule changes.
- During one of my anxious moments (that I didn't really have to be anxious about), one of my own students was there to say that everything was going to be okay. And it was.
- Working on the poster boards and plans was fun. It reminded me of how much I love being behind the scenes, developing creative spaces for people to encounter the living God and respond to the love, grace, and mercy God extends to us. It also reminded me of how much I appreciated the staff workers who did the same for me as a student.
Looking up the definitions of the two words seemed to clarify the differences:
per·fect
[adj., n. pur-fikt; v. per-fekt] Show IPA
adjective
1.
conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type: a perfect sphere; a perfectgentleman.
2.
excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement: There is no perfect legal code. Theproportions of this temple are almost perfect.
3.
exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose: a perfect actor to play Mr.Micawber; a perfect saw for cutting out keyholes.
4.
entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings: a perfect apple; the perfect crime.
5.
accurate, exact, or correct in every detail: a perfect copy.
ex·cel·lent
[ek-suh-luhnt] Show IPA
adjective
1.
possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good.
2.
Archaic. extraordinary; superior.
It seems like for perfection, they use words like 'ideal,' 'exact,' 'correct,' and 'flawless.' There's a mold to fit with rules to abide by, and anything less than that falls short. With excellence, it seems like you're shooting for 'above average,' and caring more about the quality than working towards exact dimensions. It seems like for perfection, there's one answer, and one answer only; for excellence, there are many possibilities and room for growth. With perfection, there's temptation to take extreme control over things out of your control; with excellence, there are opportunities to fail and learn. There's bondage in perfection; there's freedom in excellence.
With that in mind, I think Vision Night was done excellently - it was an improvement from the year before, and there are ways we can increase the quality for next time. And hopefully, I'll remember the difference between perfection and excellence in whatever ways I serve the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment