Thursday, July 30, 2015

Leaders are Readers: The Mission of God's People

Harry S. Truman said, "Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers."  This 'Leaders are Readers' series highlights books I read and my reflections on them to bolster my leadership learning as I serve students on campus.

Today's book is:  The Mission of God's People - by Christopher J. H. Wright

There was one thought that kept floating through my mind every time I picked up this book to read another section:  I wish my students would read this.

It would give great fodder for conversation around what the mission of God's people is, why we exist as an IV group on campus, and how those two things collide.

It was a great reminder of who we are called to be as God's people, and gave me a more thorough biblical look at our mission, beyond what I was taught in Sunday School as a kid.

Plus, as you read it you'd come across these great nuggets of truth that were packed with punch.  Like this one:

"When a whole community was called to know God, as Old Testament Israel was, it was a comprehensive social agenda, not just a badge of nominal national religion" (pg 151).

Wa-pow!

Here are some questions I'm reflecting on now that I've finished the read:
1) What would our InterVarsity chapter look like if students served and led from a place of God's mission as God's people, and not out of obligation, guilt, or fear?

2) How can I use the content and framework of this book to communicate the mission of God's people to my students?

Why I'd recommend it to you:
1) It's an academic read, but it doesn't read like an academic read.  It feels more conversational and logical as opposed to intellectual and stuffy.

2) I thought the sections gave helpful reflection questions for both individuals and groups.

3) It is thorough.  And I mean thorough.  It definitely feels like a textbook you would give out to a seminary class.

4) It gives a full, biblical exploration of the mission of God's people, not just the New Testament or one passage in the Bible.

What I'd be aware of:
1) It has TONS of side quotes and such.  I found them to be distracting although once in a while enlightening.  I skipped most of them because I hate having to read the main content and then go back to the side quotes or vice versa.


2) It took me a long time to finish reading.  Now granted, I'm a slow reader to begin with.  But, it confused me as to why it took me so long when it was a relatively easy read.  I definitely had a little celebration party for myself when I finally finished it.  Just a potential warning, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment