Thursday, August 20, 2015

Engaging God's power (Regional Staff Conference)


Regional Staff Conference (RSC) is held every summer before classes start.  It's a time of InterVarsity from all over the NY/NJ region gathering together to develop leadership skills, renew our vision, and engage in each other's lives face-to-face.

This year, we studied Acts 3-5 together and responded to God through prayer and worship for the first half of the conference.

Typically, in group manuscript/inductive studies, there are lots of helpful application questions to think about, with maybe one or two of them that really resonate with me.  If even that.

God, however, seemed to have different plans for me this time around.  That's typical God, right?

There were a few application questions that came from each study session of Acts.  But as I observed how Peter, John, and the early church of believers responded to their mission and message as witnesses, ALL of the application questions seemed to resonate with importance for me.  And being the type of person who needs way more time to reflect on my answers than just the 10 minutes or so we were given, I sensed God saying that I needed to hold on to these questions and spend time working through them with Him at some other time.

Here are a few of the questions I'm tackling with Jesus:

  1. Where is it that I do not believe the power of the name of Jesus reaches?
  2. Where have I allowed ignorance to be my god instead of Jesus?
  3. What could happen and what would be different if I actually believed the name of Jesus held power of everything?

I don't know about you as you read through and think about those questions, but as I've been reflecting on my own answers, I've had to be brutally honest about what my answers really are.  It's been interesting to see which questions were easier and which questions were harder to interact with.  God has certainly been challenging me to reassess and think critically around how I engage with God's power on campus and in my day-to-day life.

No comments:

Post a Comment